View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 09:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
NessunDorma

I think about alocohol on two levels.

My emotional response, gut feel if you like, has changed a lot over my time of sobriety. When drinking, I thought about alcohol as a friend, something to turn to, even though in the last few years it was obviously a very toxic relationship. Or maybe like close family member, always there as I had been brought up to drink from early days.

That has changed completely. Becuase of the harm alcohol caused my family, and many other people, my gut feel is now diffferent. Imagine someone bullying your child at school, or maybe care staff neglecting your mother in hospital, my feelings about alcohol are similar. Or maybe someone with a superficially attractive personality, witty and lively, but you know to be dishonest and has stabbed you in the back.

So I no longer yearn for alcohol - hate is perhaps a bit strong but I certainly don't feel neutral.

On a rational level alcohol is for me bunch of things - a substance, an industry, various cultures etc - that give moderate pleasure to many people but great harm to a sizeable minority. It's on a spectrum with very harmless substances at one end (tea maybe) and very harmful at the other (crack cocaine). Those with an economic interest in promoting drinking are better placed to do so (advertising budgets etc) than the other side (public health authorities or charities). I don't hate this imbalance but certainly dislike it would campaign to change it.