View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 01:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
MissPerfumado

Hi Santideva, welcome.

I also think you should see a doctor. As you are goal-oriented and sound like an organised type of person, you should see it as an important element of your plan to quit. I saw a doctor on my first day of quitting. It solidified for me that I was quitting for real - opening up to a professional about my problem could not get more real for me. Crucially, she made an assessment about whether I needed medical help to quit. She also referred me to a psychologist and that formed part of my plan.

I also wonder if you need to wait for the 20th of Feb to stop. For me it was the middle of December when I decided I was going to stop on New Year's Day. But after speaking to a trusted friend who said - if you're going to quit forever, what in heaven's name are you waiting for? - I decided to quit the very next day. Just a thought ....

I also do think if you are really ready to stop, then you don't need the Plan B or C. I had AA as a back-up in case I found it tough going and I researched the meetings close to me and the dates and times.

But fortunately I found that SR was enough. I read the heck out of everything I could on this site, particularly the stickies, and I joined a class thread and posted everyday.

I also made a plan. This is very important. If you have a sobriety plan, then you are fore-armed. You put in your plan all your strategies to deal with your triggers, your weaknesses, the times of day when you usually would drink ... everything. This site will give you lots of good ideas of what strategies to employ.

You said you are the sort of person who decides, then goes ahead and does it. I have absolutely no reason to doubt it. But do give yourself the best chance of succeeding by considering the great advice you're receiving and also making the best use of the information here on SR.