View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
darkling

Originally Posted by Santideva View Post
. . . My plan is to attempt to quit drinking completely starting on Monday, February 20th. My second attempt will be the following day. If I find that I can not quit that day or any of the next seven days, I will start attending AA meetings. If within two weeks I am unable to quit drinking after starting AA meetings, I will request acamprosate from my psychiatrist and continue to attend AA meetings.
Please let me know if this plan seems reasonable or if I am missing something glaring.
What I see is a glaring lack of conviction/commitment and a "plan" that is full of loopholes. If the first half-hearted attempt doesn't work, that's ok, there's a Plan B, C, D, E . . . .

Why not admit that you don't plan on stopping for a month after Feb 20? That's pretty much what your "plan" says.

I would suggest a doctor first and foremost. Someone who knows about alcoholism and detoxing. Stay safe while withdrawing.

Go to AA now. Why wait?
That's your bottom line plan anyway. That's where you're going to get the tools and support needed to quit.

As far as acamprosate? There is no magic pill that's going to fix you. It is actually going to require some hard work on your part.

This is not a game.
This is not something to just sorta kinda try a little bit.