Thread: Three Days In
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 02:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
heartcore

I have hidden relapses from people I love & then hidden the attempts at recovery that followed "until I got a little time clean/sober," so I couldnt fail at quitting.

I'm a proud one.

By not telling people what was up, I definitely held the door open for continued relapse. I have no question about that correlation (for me).

The only times I've gotten & maintained full & healthy sobriety have been when I have allowed myself to wear the identity of a person in recovery - at meetings, with friends - discretely, mind you, because I am very professional with work, & cautious - but I can be honest and state that - for sure - the only times I do "early recovery in secret" are times I don't get past early recovery.

Will she maybe roll her eyes, because she's been down this road with you before?

Maybe. But more likely, a part of her heart will be hopeful, because she loves you & nobody wants to watch their beloved skulking around, hiding things, & maybe dying the dark death of alcoholism.

I suspect that you are reluctant to see that hope, then over-ride it by "failing" at sobriety. But that hope from another can also strengthen us!

Early detox is physically & emotionally exhausting! It is a lot of extra energy to hide your experience from those closest to you...they can actually help take care of you in the begining & also watch/be alert that nothing dangerous happens while detoxing (seizure, etc.)

Sending good wishes! Don't worry so much about telling her; I'm sure she notices far more than you know! Just put all of yourself into getting sober - the rest is just noise...