Thread: Three Days In
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
entropy1964

Hey Superbowl

Great time to quit....before you have to because you son hates you, your wife leaves you, you lose your job, you health, your sanity. Everything. Alcoholism is progressive so if you can use the stories you see here and elsewhere as the 'things to come if I keep drinking' stories, you're ahead of me! I haven't lost all but I started quitting when my daughter was about 3, she's 16 now. And I have hurt her....a parent's worst nightmare.

Have you thought about a program of support? Being a hermit is fine for the first few months, but might be lacking for long term sobriety. Quitting is one thing. Living sober another. I know from personal experience that I can get very caught up in my head, obsessively thinking etc.

Post here a lot. Good luck.

Oh yeah, as far as telling the wife. Many recommend here, or share, that telling early on isn't a great idea. I dunno. But I'm pretty sure they will notice. I guess if the wife isn't beating you up for getting hammered this weekend you don't really need to share with her. But I do think involving those close to us in our recovery holds us accountable and can help the commitment 'stick'.