View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FireSprite

I simply feel overwhelmed by it and perhaps even burdened in a sense because there is a part of me that feels controlled by it. If someone is constantly praising you and bombarding you with declarations of love on a constant basis it can feel like a big cross to carry. Almost as though you are left without room to slow it down or react to anything else. Think about it...how do you bring the relationship back down to earth and its obvious flaws when you are getting reinforcement of some kind of perfection of who you are. Maybe my brain interprets it as "look how much this person is enamored by you....why would you do anything to disrupt that and spoil that idea"...
Just to play Devil's Advocate let me point out that MY reaction to what you describe above is the exact opposite of what you say your feelings are about it all.

Attention like this sets off my radar in a big way - it makes me feel the exact opposite of loved & adored & puts my defenses up Big Time. It makes me feel like it's not about *me* at all & that it's all about what that other person is making up inside their head - it's not Reality. It's creepy & makes me feel like a pawn in a game; not a Real Person.

In the situation you describe, my instinct would be to put distance between myself & this person; I would intentionally "disrupt or spoil the idea" because I find it to be emotionally manipulative. Just another perspective - what you are experiencing isn't the "norm" for all of us. ((((Hugs))))