View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sponsx

I got sober, she is in denial

My wife and I have been heavily drinking for the better part of 6 years. I had a horrible DT episode that scared the sht out of me, and ended up going to rehab. I'm sober 2 months 15 days today.

At first, I focused on my recovery.. She drinking around me honestly didn't bother me much.. I thought she would try to cut back, I hoped she wasn't a "true alcoholic" and would be able to cut back.. or stop drinking.

This turned into me basically being an enabler. She is constantly asking me is she a good mother, a good wife.. I bite my tongue and say yes babe...

I was a too much a coward to tell her my true feelings. But I've since changed that, and told her that she is not a bad mother, or a bad person, but her drinking is affecting everything around her. It is affecting our marriage, our kids, our finances, and her health. She has also been holding on to an emotional affair (when it rains it pours) which I don't think she even sees as wrong.

She is basically living a delusion, and I don't know how to get through to her. I've basically done a 180, focusing on me instead of her and her affair.. Divorce may be in our future depending on if she is serious about reconciliation.. Regardless of whether we stay together I love her, I want her to get better, but I don't know how to help her.. I know how difficult it is to pierce denial..

I'm still pretty new at this life, any advice would be greatly appreciated.