Old 01-31-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JimC60

Seren :
" I think many an active and early recovering addict/alcoholic wishes to have all culpability removed for their past behaviors. I think the guilty and in need of treatment mindset is, perhaps, a better way to look at things when it comes to addiction.

However, the active and early recovering addict will probably not see it that way."

Ann:
"I don't believe it is healthy for anyone in recovery to beat themselves up with shame and blame, it serves no good purpose.

I like the way Steps 8 and 9 in all 12 step programs puts it...

Step 8: Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

Step 9: Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others. "

Seren & Ann,
Very nicely done!

As for how the addict /alcoholic see this, I think it takes a long time for them, especially the opiate addicts, to come to grips with exactly what they have done in the past and how it impacted those around them.

This why I believe a good sponsor will have the recovering person revisit the steps repeatedly and as their brain heals and the more "normal wiring" gradually returns, they will have more ah-ha moments which will need to be addressed. Bill W. and Dr. Bob had it figured out.....

Keep coming back,

Jim