View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
aliciagr

I have a little experience with this format. My husband did sexually assault me (twice) when he was drinking and using cocaine. I reached out to domestic violence assistance to talk, and did try not a free domestic violence/shelter service - but did try a therapist who specialized in domestic abuse. And I also participated in a group for a short while with women who suffered abuse. The group was enlightening but my experiences were unlike theirs in that I was not in a longsuffering abusive relationship. My husband had always been loving and supportive, and these incidences were isolated and due to substances. MY suffering due to this was just as great as they had experienced and it was good to share my feelings of those events with women who understood. But I found that my healing was part recovery from the abuse and how it left me feeling, and then part completely unrelated. I didnt totally fit in, and while it helped me heal one part, I also needed more of a cognitive therapy to work on other personal issues, and even marriage counseling to work with my husband to restore our marriage.

I would try it, but make sure you have clarity and move on to other forms of help if it doesnt connect with you.

I wouldnt worry about the depth of abuse you suffered in relation to others. Its sort of like sharing here what experiences we have had. some have had much more, others much less. but we have all been affected in some way by abuse, alcoholism, or drug abuse.

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
So...I have had to add my children to my own insurance through my job which is much more expensive, especially for counseling. We are all three in counseling so just copays will be $40 a pop for each of us.

That being said, today I reached out to a place that provides service for women who have went through domestic violence, both physical or emotional abuse. The counseling will be free, and I feel they will be able to relate with what I am going through with the continued emotional wringer in trying to coparent with my X. While at the end my XAH was a physical with me, he is by no means a wife beater, and I kicked him out immediately. That was the end.

I am feeling apprehensive. I know it's not true, but I feel like I don't deserve this somehow, or that I will be taking up the time that someone going through so much more deserves instead of me.

I don't know. Just like I just told someone else, I am sure that I will feel better once I go, and this is something I have to do for myself. Has anyone else went through this type of place for services before?