View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
heartcore

Most people, when releasing addictions of any kind, realize that part of the value (to them) of that addiction is that it was their "ready friend." Alcohol, heroin, cigarettes. The friend that didn't miss a beat. The friend you call every time you're lonely. The friend in your pocket.

Sadly, this friend is jealous, selfish, greedy, & often deadly.

But we get so lonely that we think - wait! I don't need to feel this emptiness! There's a friend in my pocket! (Or in my purse, or at the bar, or in the fridge).

If they were our lover, we would be in an abusive relationship, but still defend it.

And if you leave that abusive, controlling, demanding lover - you find yourself in a silent apartment. Safe, but all alone.

Some people resolve this by filling that space with meetings & the busy, bustling community of NA or AA.
Some people get used to the silence, & start filling the space & time with building model airplanes or painting the bathroom.
Some people take a second job. Some people learn to salsa dance. Some people write quietly in their journal at a cafe.

It is hard to fill the space. If you are single & don't have children - it is a lot of space.

You just keep trying things until you figure out what you enjoy. It is awkward & lonely sometimes.

That abusive friend is always lurking. They want to reclaim you. They really want to hang out.

Your choice. It's just hard. But there comes a day where you forget the friend in your pocket & realize you happily spent the whole evening building a shelf or having dinner with people. It fills up, if you fill it.