View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
schnappi99

Its a reminder of life in the raw. Often Alanon meetings go fine but sometimes somebody shows up in really bad shape- we had a self-stated suicidal father who had just relapsed on heroin after learning his son had just OD'ed and died. A buddy got the guy out of the house and they landed in our Alanon meeting. He spent the hour just sitting there not saying anything and just before we wrapped up the meeting he told his story. We went 20 mins or so over because the fantastic women in the meeting started sharing with the guy their stories of suicide attempts, homelessness, drugs and recovery. I knew some of them had pretty rough pasts but man they sure stepped up. One is a social worker and gave the guy some leads near his house, the others rallied around like I never saw before. He left in better spirits I hope to get news of him someday. I gave him my # along with the rest but figure its chump change compared to the message those ladies carried. That memory like this story is a firm reminder to me how serious family issues related to addiction are. Sometimes its a maybe a win to have the AA/Alanon/NA face-to-face at that critical moment but thats only a small percentage of all those out here, maybe lots of them only hear about recovery on boards like this.