View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
firebolt

I just don't know what I SHOULD do. Ignore him? Pretend I don't notice that he's drunk? I don't plan to cook dinner (at least not with him in mind), or do anything nice for him while he's drinking. I don't even want to watch tv with him or anything. If anyone has a few ideas on what I can do in the meantime, to help ME and help me control my rage, I would be happy to hear them. I know I should check out al-anon, there is a meeting tomorrow that I'm going to check out. But other than that, how do I get by until I can either leave, or until the situation changes somehow?
You have some really good action items / ideas in here - the start to really, really good boundaries for yourself.

You don't want to hang out with drunken hubs, and you don't have to. This is a really really good time to feed your hobbies, start a new fun thing with your kiddo outside the house, or in a another room, sleep in a different room for some peace, start reconnecting with old friends and family, start a new book, etc.

Search this site for threads on detachment. It saved my sanity. Turning ALL of your focus to you will help remove your husbands drinking from your happiness level. We don't obsess, spiral, and live in anger when a distant friend is driving their lives into the ground. Focusing on you making your own life happy without expectations or criticism of him. Detachment isn't a forever solution, but I promise....you aren't going to talk, guilt or reason him into sobriety. Trying only hurts you.

Getting to that meeting...super smart. You cannot have enough support right now - and I second Wisconsin'c comment that counseling is a game changer.

Hang in there - this must feel really defeating. We're here, we've been there, keep posting!! and (((HUGS)))