Old 01-25-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wells

I appreciate the sentiment!

My original post may have been a bit misleading - I am certainly not suddenly in a great rush to fill a void or start a new relationship out of spite or competition with my ex or anything crazy like that.

I only meant to convey that it occurred to me that perhaps it was the hope of a reconciliation or some such fairly tale that had been closing me off to the idea of a new relationship. It's been 7 months or so now, not counting the days, but I do have to at some point decide, if a relationship is what I want, to get back out there. It may have just been the realization that she has moved on that was the kick in the butt I needed to understand that I shouldn't be afraid to do the same.

Of course, I want this to be for the right reasons, not just filling a void. I have definitely realized a relationship is something I'd like to be in. I am surrounded by a circle of family and friends who all have someone, and I'm the only single one in a sea of couples now (we're talking 1 in 100) so it's also a bit of a weird position.

But again, that's not the reason, just to be "like everyone else". I've had these many months now to be with myself, catch up on activities, see family and friends more, essentially, write my own ticket and schedule for the better part of a year. I'm productive and content with myself but I'm also realizing as time moves on that I'm getting more sensitive to the quiet. To the empty bed. To sitting on the couch alone. Eating alone in the kitchen or at the restaurant counter. As time has wore on, I'm starting to realize that's bothering me a bit more.

I need to be sure I am not looking for someone to make my life complete, or replace the last relationship I left, as you have wisely noted -- I just want to enhance what is a good (albeit somewhat empty feeling now) life and share it with someone. It may just be that the intersection of time passed, time spent with myself, and the finality of knowing my ex moved on, that has started to nudge me closer to wanting to put myself back out there again.

Not rushing out there, mind you, but starting to feel like being a part of something again, instead of just being with myself.