View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
maude10

Angry not again...so disgusted

Hello,
So my AH has started drinking again. He was a functioning alcoholic for years and years and all of a sudden the bottom dropped out and he became VERY non-functioning. After months of hell, he finally went to out patient detox and started on antabuse. He seemed great and said he was so happy to have finally stopped and had zero interest in drinking. That was last April, and he started drinking again for a couple of weeks in September. He felt and looked like crap, and it went right back into hell. Then he got his act together and stopped again. He refused to go to counseling, he doesn't "NEED" it.
And about a week ago, he's back at it. He said (he was drunk at the time) that he's decided that now and then he needs to have a drink and it's no big deal, but I make it a problem because I get mad. That's why he acts like Satan. Why can't I just let him drink now and then, he wants to know? Yeah...ok.
So here's the part where I need help: In the past I have yelled, and stomped and slammed in anger. I have even slapped him. I make snarky and mean comments and try to reason (duh) with him. Of course, none of it has done squat, except to make me feel worse. I just don't know what I SHOULD do. Ignore him? Pretend I don't notice that he's drunk? I don't plan to cook dinner (at least not with him in mind), or do anything nice for him while he's drinking. I don't even want to watch tv with him or anything. If anyone has a few ideas on what I can do in the meantime, to help ME and help me control my rage, I would be happy to hear them. I know I should check out al-anon, there is a meeting tomorrow that I'm going to check out. But other than that, how do I get by until I can either leave, or until the situation changes somehow? I should add that we have a six year old who doesn't seem to know that anything is going on, and thinks Daddy hung the moon. Thanks for reading. :-)