Old 01-23-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
NewRomanMan

Originally Posted by lifewithoutaa View Post
I don't know how people manage to do both, they are polar opposites in what they teach. I used to attend aa, was miserable in it once the initial simply being around people in recovery faded and I was fighting their pecking order.

Some of the examples. Aa tells you, you are powerless, Smart tells you, you are empowered. Aa tells you its a disease, Smart tells you its not. Aa insists upon only a higher power can fix you, Smart tells you to use the tools that work to move on past addiction. Aa tells you they are the only way, Smart tells you what works for you is unique to you and there are many paths to recovery. Aa tells you that you must attend meeting regularly, Smart teaches that meetings are optional and no problem using them only in a temporary basis. Aa tells you to follow its system of spirituality, Smart tells you that your spirituality is not part of their program, success has nothing to do with your faith.

I found in the end, I do combine my "catholic" faith, on my own, and the talent that was put into Smart recovery makes for a nice well rounded approach. It is what works for me and i don't have to compromise my belief system. Early in I had a fellow catholic tell me to leave my Catholic faith behind me once I walked in the door to AA, it disturbed me big time.

In addition, you can float in and out of the Smart group, people will not shun or berate or ostracize you, that has not been my experience with aa.
Would however like to know where in the Big Book AA claims they are the "only way" as you put it. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, the Big Book says the opposite. Whatever works for you and keeps you sober is a positive thing. Not trying to be picky, it just doesn't do anyone any good to misrepresent what any given recovery program as to offer or teaches. (By the by, alcoholism is recognized as a disease by the American Medical Association, not just AA.) Just my two cents. Nothing more.