View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SparkleKitty

I'm not a parent and would never dream of offering parental advice.

I am, however, a depressed person.

I am socially active, have lots of friends, and am very involved in both my job and my theatre company. And none of that means I am not also depressed.

Mine comes in waves. I am lucky and grateful that I am able to continue functioning, for the most part. I say no a little more frequently. I schedule quiet time on my own. I know there are people out there that are worse off.

Sometimes instead of making things impossible, depression just makes everything harder. But it's still real, still present, and still...depression.

Sometimes the things it makes harder are stupid things that should be so easy, like taking down a tweet. Answering an email. Turning on the tv. Turning off the tv.

She sounds like she is pretty self-aware and self-directed and that she is actively working towards finding her way out of this. She is even asking for your help and support. She is at an age that is terrifyingly close to independence, and if she did not have some friction with her parents I'd be pretty worried about her.

You are a good parent. I wish I'd had at least one of you growing up with addiction, hopeful.