View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hopeful4

Being a parent is so hard

As most of you know, I have a 17 and 11 year old DD. I guess I have been focusing so much on my 11 y/o that I have lost sight that my 17 y/o DD is struggling right now.

Clearly something is going on. She says she feels depressed. Thing is, I think she has something going on that she is not telling me. She says she does not want to go to the same counselor she had because he just wants to focus on her dad, and that's not her issues. She also asked for a female, which is fine. So she has an appointment coming up. It's hard for me to talk to her because she is going through a phase that she is really wonderful, or she is just snappy and awful, which I call her out on and then we fight about that. Definitely not drug or alcohol use, not even on the radar.

Her behavior does not match that of a depressed person. She is very socially active. She has lots of friends. Goes to lots of events. Involved.

I don't even know why I am posting this except to get it out I guess. I know parenting teenagers is no picnic.

She made a post on twitter over the weekend of something very minor, it did not even matter much. However, I told her to take it down because the situation changed right after. She told me she had already taken it down, but she had not, and did not until I told her to. Which would be fine except she lied to me about it, which is not like her at all.

I guess more will be revealed in time. I did call and get her a counseling appt w/a female counselor who they recommended for her as she is really good with teens, so we will see how that goes. I guess at this point I am feeling overwhelmed with all that is going on, and doing a lot of second guessing of myself to make sure I am handling things in the way I should.

Sometimes you just feel like you cannot get a break.