View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Berrybean

So, so glad you pushed through and stayed sober.

Weekends were incredibly difficult when I first stopped drinking. They suddenly seemed SO LONG!!!! How did they ever get to BE so long? GAH! !

The good news is that I now enjoy my weekends again. The bad news is that they now whizz past. Lol. I start my weekend on Friday night with my favourite AA meeting of the week. It's a room full of laughter and compassion, and I hate to miss it. When i get home i treat myself to a take-away or snuggle up for an early night with a good book if I need to be out and about early on Saturday. I also end the weekend on Sunday night with my home group AA meeting. There are a few Saturday meetings I can go to as well if I like (lunchtime and early evening) and I used to make good use of those as well, but nowadays I tend not to need it. I have some good AA friends though so will often go do something fun with one or two of them if my partner has been welded to a bar-stool someplace (as is usual at the weekends).

Volunteering and getting involved in community events can be a great way of passing the time productively and meeting new people who aren't drinking-buddies (ALL my old friends were drinking buddies, so weekends were really lonely at first). I've also done various other activities (learning to play trumpet, tap dancing, bell ringing, creative writing group, reading group, fitness classes, church activities). It just takes us a while to relearn how to relax and spend leisure time in sober ways. It will come if you keep putting some effort into retraining yourself.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB