View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 01:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by TryingHardUK View Post
I haven't had a drink for 75 days and feel great. Physically, I have lost a load of weight and my appearance has changed quite a bit too (no more ruddy cheeks or baggy eyes, much less tummy etc). Better than that, lots of people have told me I seem different - 'more bouncy' was my favourite description, but basically more energy, less grumpy etc. I have pretended it's all about exercise and diet (which is true, started those too) but I would really like to be honest and say what the real reason is, at least with friends and family (my wife is the only person who knows). I'm a bit scared to 'out myself' in this way, but feel it would be helpful to my recovery to front up to it and stop hiding things from others - alcohol made me do that for years and Im trying to leave that behind.

I'm really asking if people would share their experiences (good and bad), particularly they've been sober for about the same time as I have. I'd really appreciate advice from those who have been in this position before.
No. I don't talk about it. When I was new in sobriety I didn't know how long it would last. I didn't want to put any pressure on myself. Not picking up a drink just for today keeps it simple.

However, I have been asked by a few people who knew me when I was drinking how long I have been sober. If they want to know I'll be happy to tell them.

Yet, 12-step groups are sometimes seen as controversial. I prefer not to discuss them or my sobriety as a general topic of conversation outside the rooms of AA.