View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Dreaming.....this is not a criticism of you...but, take a look at the "tone" of what you are saying---"SEND him here" or.."SEND him there" ..or..."SEND him somewhere else".....LOL...it sounds like a parent who is deciding where to send a child who is under 18yrs. old, and still under parental authority....
Now, I get it , that you don't mean it that way....that you are trying to find a way to get him to stop drinking that works for everyone...best for him...best for you and the kids....
The problem is this as I see it: You are talking about boundaries...right? Well, boundaries are to p rotect your and the kids welfare. They are not "rules" or laws that you make for him to follow.....because, rules for him (written by you) don't work! Because, they are decisions that are not made by him. He will not commit to anything that he has not decided for himself. He might go along, for a little while to get you off his back...but it will fail in th end, because his heart is not in it....your heart might be in it....but, that is not the same thing....

Here is how it, basically, works---You make your decisions (boundaries) on your side of the street. It is, then, up to him to make his own decisions about what he is going to do..on HIS side of the street. You are in charge of your side of the street...and, he is in charge of his side of the street.....

Now, to be fair...I don't have any idea of what background his outpatient counselor has...how much is alcoholism and how much is primarily mental issues....but, it doesn't matter, really....He still needs to get sober....if he really wants real recovery in his life....
Remember this---HE is the counselor's main concern...not you and the kids! That is the way it always is.

Could you make the boundary..."I will not live with active alcoholism in the same house as me and the kids".....What he does with that is up to him and on his side of the street.....(you don't have to be mean about it..."say what you mean/and mean what you say...don't say it mean"........

Any commitment to sobriety will, ultimately, have to come from him.....
Meanwhile, you are responsible for the decisions that affect you...