View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dreaming005

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
I will share, with you, an observation that I have made for a long time---It is this:
Alcoholics will do anything...anything...to keep others off their backs about totally giving up the alcohol forever (it lliterally feels like being a fish without water, for them). They will go to anything that doesn't have the word "alcohol" as the main word. In the recesses of their minds...there is the idea that they can, somehow, still manage to drink, sometimes....and keep their loved ones "satisfied" that they are doing
This completely resonates. He thinks he can still drink & manage it. So ridiculous. He doesn't want a beer- he goes for Vodka & gets wasted so that he sleeps for 2 days. It's never just a little slip.

And he's definitely going excuses about AA. I just told him he's going every day or he's going to get a a sober house. I don't think that will work, with me mandating attendance, but I don't know what else to do. Maybe just send him to a sober house and let him figure out his life is the answer.... However, I met with his counselor from inpatient and he told me home was better & he'd be more likely to relapse in a sober house...