Thread: My wife left me
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by soberandhonest View Post
There are a lot of people pushing the steps here.
In context, we are explaining that AA is the steps. No where in AA literature will you find the claim that meetings bring about lasting sobriety. I have seen plenty of people try and the result is not something I would find attractive.

At one time I was in yours me mesters camp. I rejected the steps needed I don't recall even giving them the serious consideration you did. I didn't like the God bit was my excuse, but the truth was I didn't like the honesty, the levelling of my pride, that the process seemed to require.

In the group of ten in my rehab, two went to AA. They swallowed the steps bs, and are still sober today, 38 years later. I joined the other seven who knew better. We were all drunk in a short time, several of us relapsing together. A year later I was the only one still alive. I went back to AA with a different attitude and have been sober ever since .

An AA sponsors job is to take you through the AA program, the steps. If you have found a sponsor that has other alternatives, you are relying on someone who is less than honest, and you will be getting the amazing benefit of one unqualified persons opinions, as opposed to the experience of thousands.

The AA book tells us that if you think you have a better way, we should encourage you to follow your conscience, so go for it by all means. We will still be here if you ever need us, and you will be warmly welcomed.