Thread: My wife left me
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 11:47 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by Mester View Post
I've been to an outpatient meeting. It was fantastic because we didn't have to talk about all those stupid steps that I'm never going to do and, honestly, didn't do the first four years I was sober except for #1.
I can understand the reluctance there, Mester. My understanding of taking AA's Step 1 is this: "We conceded to our innermost selves we are powerless over alcohol, that is, we are alcoholics."

By AA's own definition of an alcoholic, an alcoholic, at certain times, has no effective mental defense against the first drink. They go on to say that except in a few rare cases, no human being can provide such a defense.

I always though that it was rather nice of the founders of AA to admit in the Big Book, in writing, that it is indeed possible for alcoholics to raise such a mental defense, even if they do say that it is rare.

I don't believe in the whole "take what you like, and leave the rest" idea, though. It sounds nice, but taking Step 1, and leaving the rest, is essentially saying "I am powerless over the desire to drink alcohol", which on its own does not really help.

It's kind of like taking AVRT's central message -- "there is no help for you, you are on your own" -- and leaving the rest. The rest, of course, being that you don't need any help removing desire, because your desire to swallow alcohol cannot fulfill itself on its own, and is therefore powerless before you.

Originally Posted by Mester View Post
I am a police officer.
That's interesting. You are probably held to a higher standard of conduct than your average citizen, since your job is to enforce laws and to protect the public.