Thread: My wife left me
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
soberandhonest

There are a lot of people pushing the steps here and, as someone who spent a grand total of about 6 minutes reading the steps before rejecting them as not a good fit for me, I'll just put this out there. The steps are one method of getting and staying sober, but they aren't the only method. For me, for many reasons, but mostly just instinctually, I recognized they weren't the right way. But I also recognized that I needed more than to just "quit drinking" if long-term sobriety would be successful. I'm now at 13 months so I'm certainly not long-term, but I'm getting there. In rejecting the steps, I did recognize that a comprehensive program needed to be in place. So I wrote my own. It includes a fitbit (10,000 steps per day, at least 5 days per week), meditation, journaling, a discussion of triggers, support for and from my spouse, and lots of other stuff. It's detailed. Mester, you've had a whole lot of sobriety and a bit of relapse, so perhaps something along the lines of what I've done will work for you too. Good luck. No matter how you read all of these posts, everyone here is supportive of you and wants you to succeed.