Old 01-13-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
idekbutimhere

I honestly think it's possible (as some of the others here have shown), but it's difficult.

I'm and the same days sober as you (I think I'm at 117 days, will be four months next week). My fiance doesn't drink but my roommates do.

It has always been difficult for me. I've many times relapsed and dipped into my roommate's alcohol stash. Over the years I have no idea how many times I have asked them to keep their alcohol in their room or locked up and they never have. I've found myself many times drunk and ending the night with their alcohol in my hands. I've explained to them that I have a problem and that I steal their alcohol when I'm already drunk and I just can't stop... Sometimes it feels to me that they don't give a damn and would rather be angry at me for drinking than do anything to protect their "stash".

Their drinking is still a major trigger for me.
I realize it's not their job to protect my sobriety. I don't expect them to quit drinking because of me nor to not keep alcohol in the house... I just wish they would not leave it out when they're not using it, I wish they would make it inaccessible to me, I wish they wouldn't offer me to try a sip, I wish they wouldn't ALL stand around me and discuss booze while drinking.
They know I'm an alcoholic. They know I've been in recovery and relapsed many times.

They just don't understand... AT ALL. They have absolutely no understanding of how difficult it is to stay sober, even without then triggering me.

I've thought about moving out several times.
My fiance owns the house we live in (but we are leasing the property). For probably 5-7 years they've talked about moving out but never have... And as I've tried to get sober I've considered that I may have to move out to maintain sobriety. I've quite literally ached for a sober space, feeling that I can't live constantly surrounded by drinkers and alcohol.

I'm still considering it. With a baby on the way and my sobriety still hanging in the balance it feels even more like something I may have to do.
I feel trapped right now and that does nothing for my ability to stay sober (especially having panic disorder). I lost my job about five months ago and am currently working on a certification so that once the baby's born I will have a good paying job that would allow me to afford an apartment of my own.

I feel like living on my own would present its own challenges (as well as to my sobriety), but I also think it would be easier without the temptation constantly in my face.

I can handle being around people who are having a glass of wine or so with dinner. That used to be difficult for me but it's not anymore... What's hard for me is people drinking liquor and getting tipsy around me.

I deal with it mostly by keeping to myself and hiding in my room. I recognize that I can't necessarily do that with a baby who will eventually need more space than my room provides (there's not enough floor source for crawling or toys).
Living with drinkers is already being difficult when I can hide away... I can only imagine what it'll be like when I have an infant that needs space to move around and I can't just hide from them when they're drinking.

I look at it as: either eventually they are going to have to make some compromises or I will.
And I think that eventually I will be the one making changes (since they have never been willing to make any). In the meantime I'm trying to build a safety net. I'm going to meetings and I've spoken with my sister (who doesn't drink or use any drugs) about moving in if I need to for my mental health, sobriety, and they baby's health (I am going to avoid this option if I can but if I can't handle it anymore I will use it).

So, I guess I would say there's probably a line for most people of what they can handle. If my roommates were more respectful I don't think it'd be a problem... But they're not... And that's the worst thing for me (especially knowing my pleas fall on deaf ears).

Best wishes, hang in there.