View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 04:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by paulokes View Post
Got sober at 30...6 years of warning signs, 4 years of problem drinking, 8 years of Groundhog day. It could have been so much worse.

I heard once many people develop a problem around 30 and delay seeking help for ten years. Actual mileage may vary, depending on circumstance, level of pain and one's tolerance for it...

P
Wow- I haven't heard this but that pretty much describes me. I had my first drink at 16, and drinking wasn't a problem for years. Some typical "fun" issues and hangovers, but all was good and I was successful, etc.

After my divorce at 29, I was a young professional single woman with a big budget and I started having a lot of fun. Til it became a bigger and bigger problem around 31, 32....and I quit this year at 39 after...PHEW....a LOT of bad stuff.

One funny thing I realized is that I quit a couple years before my mom started her drinking (she was 42 when the terrible years began and she says the beginnings of her problem drinking started around 35....).

Glad to have entered my 40s sober- so far, best decade EVER. Look forward to being like the people I see in my meetings who are celebrating 20 or 30 years in their 60s and 70s!!