Thread: My wife left me
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 01:16 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It occurs to me there could be a valuable lesson in all this, and a pointer to the way out. Algorithm didn't pull any punches. He is basically saying you have a really good reason for stopping drinking so pull your socks up and do it.

Alcoholics of my type fought like hell to be in that class. We liked to think we could stop any time we liked, especially if we had a good enough reason. We tried every way possible to prove we fitted the AA idea of the hard drinker, someone who could stop or moderate on their own power if they had a good enough reason and you have one of the best reasons there is.

This is the baffling thing about alcoholism as I know it, the total inability to leave it alone, no matter how great the wish. I really wanted to be a hard drinker, like some of my friends, but I lacked the control. I am glad I didn't get my wish because most of them died in their fifties from things like heart disease caused by drinking too much. Some stopped, some moderated, none lost control.

The first thing in fixing any problem it's to clearly understand what it is. You can either do what Algorythm suggests and sort it, or you can't. There is a different solution for either position, but there is a solution.