View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
heartcore

Mm,
I'm just trying to fill time by doing the "next right thing," with the same intent with which I moved through those early days of quitting alcohol or hard drugs.
The funny thing is that I'm still doing the same evening & weekend activities I did before (my week absorbed in a new, full-time job - which in its newness does use energy). In the evenings I read voraciously, do SR., do the dishes, walk the pup, take a hot bath... The thing is I (thought I) needed to be stoned to make things like doing the dishes or taking a bath (or anything, really) pleasurable & relaxing.
Turns out there's only a few degrees of difference between doing the dishes stoned & doing the dishes not-stoned...
I had somehow convinced myself otherwise.
It is the transitions that took a moment to get used to - I'd toke after work to "move into" doing the dishes, then a hit to "move into" reading. Now I just stand disoriented for a moment in the middle of the kitchen & think - what should I do next...ok...I'll read for a little bit...& once I start reading, it's all good.
Mind you, I live alone & also don't have television, so I think I had just built a habit pattern which helped smooth over quite a lot of quiet time to fill.
But, here at 5 weeks, lying on the bed reading SR. on my phone & snuggling my pup, I'm completely content without a substance in my system...