View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by BrickbyBrick83 View Post
I don't really know where I fit in the problem drinking sphere

But then I fell into the trap of thinking I could drink moderately, and one glass of wine one night led to a thousand more over the course of the next few years.

I didn't have any physical withdrawal symptoms when I stopped this time - or the previous time (other than anxiety during the first few weeks)

I'm not like how my dad was at the end

I very much believe that I could end up like my dad (and mum, who is also an alcoholic) if I don't take control and commit to sobriety now.

I'm a little worried that the complacency/wanting to be a normal drinker will kick in at some point down the track.
Rambling is fine, and it's good to get those thoughts out there. I stripped away some of your comments and left the ones that directly relate to your relationship with alcohol above.

I would suggest that you are most likely in the rationalization stage currently. By that I mean that you are pretty sure you think there's a problem, but you aren't convinced yet. You are comparing your drinking to your fathers as well and since he was so deep into it your drinking doesn't look so bad. But if you also know you have lost control of your ability to drink responsibly and it's happened not just once but several times over many years.

You can learn a lot from others who have been in the same situation here on SR. And remember that should you decide that you do need to commit to sobriety, there are many ways to do it.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 01-08-2017 at 07:14 PM.