View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
BrickbyBrick83

Thanks so much Mike. I don't really know where I fit in the problem drinking sphere - I've never spoken to anyone about it. I did go to a therapist for a bit (to discuss my family issues), and we touched on drinking. She never told me I had an issue, but I think that's what therapists do. She probably wanted me to tell her I thought I had a problem! I stopped going after a couple of sessions, as I didn't want to talk about it.

I have stopped before, and didn't touch a drop for five years. After the first month or so, it was easy, and I didn't think about alcohol most of the time. But then I fell into the trap of thinking I could drink moderately, and one glass of wine one night led to a thousand more over the course of the next few years.

I didn't have any physical withdrawal symptoms when I stopped this time - or the previous time (other than anxiety during the first few weeks) I'm not like how my dad was at the end, when he would have a full bottle of vodka in his hand, look back and it would be empty (i.e. blacking out, and not remembering starting to drink, let alone the middle or end bits!) He was very ill when he stopped drinking, and I'm certainly not at that level. Which is good, as the doctor gave him months to live towards the end! However, I very much believe that I could end up like my dad (and mum, who is also an alcoholic) if I don't take control and commit to sobriety now.

That was a bit of a ramble, but hopefully all makes sense! I could probably deal with this on my own, and with the help of the forum. I'm a little worried that the complacency/wanting to be a normal drinker will kick in at some point down the track, which is possibly where the meetings might come in handy.