View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
BrickbyBrick83

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I'm so surprised he didn't do an amends to you. Strange.
I posted before I read your next post.

Sounds to me like your dad hasn't faced some pretty major stuff. I'm sorry for your suffering.
Yes....I am thrilled to bits that he isn't drinking. Staying sober for 10+ years is a great achievement! However, I suspect he has chosen to lock some of the past away, and isn't going to revisit it. Maybe he does when he is on his own? Maybe he feels so guilty that he can't bear the thought of thinking about it again. He must feel sorry that he did those things, but it would be so nice to hear the words. And I'm sure it would be good for him as well?

aasharon90, I do get where you're coming from, and it would be wonderful if it worked exactly like that for everyone. However, I tried talking to my dad about a few things back when I first quit. It was like a steel wall went up - he did not want to discuss it, and I don't fancy laying myself bare like that again, just to be dismissed. Thank you for caring though

Oh well, I can't keep waiting for the apology, and I can't continue to let it be part of what shapes my behaviour. Onwards and upwards.