View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Centered3

I have a lot of thoughts after reading your post. Since you asked specifically about AA meetings, my response is based on AA meetings and my experience with them.

First, has your dad made amends to you for his past behavior? This is not a judgement, it's just a question. Maybe he's got too much shame still to face up to how he treated you. If not, then I would suggest not mentioning anything specific about him at meetings.

There is a mother, father and son who go to my meeting. They have tremendous recovery. I think the son gets around it by keeping his statements extremely general. Just by saying "my parents were alcoholics" was quite enough for us to "get it". I'm assuming he is more detailed about his childhood with his sponsor, where necessary.

Go to meetings to listen to the folks who are well how they worked the steps. Find a sponsor and share with him.

Focus on yourself, not your dad. You don't even have to tell anyone he's your dad. You're there for your own recovery, and alcoholism is just something you and he share in common so to speak.

I hope that helps. Best wishes to you in your recovery journey.