View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
Your problem is that you have actually bought into their "sober time" credentials, very possibly because you've been in and out of the rooms for years. This acts like a kneecap job to your self-confidence, and they know this. They also know that their "sober time" isn't worth anything at all, however, not even to them, because they still doubt themselves.
Although all we have is today and can't be certain what tomorrow will bring I wouldn't say sober time isn't worth anything. Time in sobriety has given me a reservoir of experiences both good and bad in which I didn't feel a need to pick up a drink.

However, I do agree there are members who perhaps because of nagging doubts about their own sobriety aggressively push back anyone they see as deviating from the AA program. I understand why someone who has had trouble getting sober and now find themselves with a couple of years can't afford to hear anything contrary to what is working for them.

Yet, I like to think we're all in this together and that we can at least be civil with those we disagree. (Which sadly isn't always the case.)

I would recommend the OP attend a variety of meetings if possible. Find a place where they can feel comfortable sharing and asking questions.