View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BrickbyBrick83

Are meetings necessary?

Hi there- I posted an introduction in the "newbie" bit today. Basically, I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I have a highly addictive personality, and just can't drink moderately (or do much else moderately!) It's all or nothing. It's no surprise that I've ended up like this really, given I grew up with two abusive, alcoholic parents. Not that I am putting all the blame at their feet. I need to start taking responsibility for my own actions and feelings.

My dad is now a recovering alcoholic - 15 years, I think. He is quite involved in AA, at a head office/board level. He also lives in the same area as me, and I can't imagine seeing him at a meeting. I would find it beyond mortifying. Especially, as I imagine I would end up talking about some childhood issues at some point, and I'm not ready to talk to him about it. I've tried to in the past, a long time ago, and he would not take any responsibility for the things he did. I get on ok with him now, but don't want to discuss anything too deep with him. I just can't.

Anyway! I guess my question is - how important are meetings? Can recovery be done alone or via online things, like this forum? Or should I go a bit outside my area, and try a meeting half an hour away or something?

This is all very early days for me, so any advice would be very much welcomed. Thank you