View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by JWS View Post
For the most part, people in AA are awesome. No doubt, alcoholics are selfish people when intoxicated. In sobriety, alcoholics tend to do a 180 and become generous. I still can't help to get annoyed by the "holier than thou" crowd. Typically these are folks with 5+ years sobriety. They look down upon those of us who don't even have a year. They sometimes even ridicule when we share something they may not agree with. They monopolize meetings with their wisdom, yet lecture newcomers who talk greater than one minute.

I will continue to avoid alcohol. Once I prove myself and get 1 year, I am going to start seeking out the bullies and tell them where they can take their elitism.
Not everyone in AA is healthy regardless of sobriety time but I would avoid telling anyone off or getting into arguments.

What's important is not what necessarily what others say in the rooms but how you live life outside. A bit of an eye opener was one particular member with over 25 years who spoke with authority at meetings. Here was the man with all the answers when it came to AA and I'd been listening to him share in meetings for almost ten years.

One day he started working where I was employed. What I found weird was he gave off the same authoritarian vibe he did in AA meetings. It wasn't long before he pissed off most of the staff and found himself being avoided.

Anyway, best of luck.