Old 01-05-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
vulcan30

Not sure why you feel that would leave you open to criticism
Volunteering really help me get back into person to person contact.

I'm awkward socially still, and I'm not particular socially dexterious but recovery has given me a good idea of who I am and what talents I possess.

Thats a good grounding I think.

I can at least interact with other people now, and the anxiety quotient is lessened by me not desperately looking for validation from them when doing so.

I think that's achievable for anyone
Thanks Dee, sorry about the defensive tone. Volunteering is the best way to make use of the time out of work. I cannot wait till I start this conservation role this month. Would like to do more days than what's offered. That's opportunity to do other things, in a different field, a different skill set.

The important thing is, I've had enough of isolation and the excuses my brain gives for not trying things. I'm sick of being imprisoned in the house aimlessly passing the days. Focusing on that thought drives me to take action. A handout from a social anxiety self-help group mentioned 'turn depression into frustration, then that can be turned into determination'.

RE Scott
I have never seen drinking alcohol as 'big' or manly, fitting-in or any of that rubbish. I have fallen into problematic drinking because alcohol helped me feel free, free from the fear of what people think of me. During times I've felt lonely and had no-one to talk to, alcohol has been that (false) friend I've turned to when I've not had anyone to talk to (increasingly the case due to workoholism on my friend's part). This thread is specifically about the evenings when I feel trapped in the house.