View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by AlcoholicJak View Post
I'm currently 27 years old and I have a real struggle with alcohol. I think I'm comfortable with stating that I was first addicted to alcohol my junior year of college. This is when I first started blacking out due to binge drinking and making very poor choices while drunk. Also, junior year was when I started drinking on the weekdays which I have continued to this day. Recently I have limited myself to an extent, I no longer drink hard alcohol and I try not to go over 9 standard drinks (although it does happen on occasion). But the fact is, I think I have a real psychological dependence to alcohol. I often feel that I cannot relax or have a good time unless I drink. I'm far better off than I was a year ago but my question is, how much is too much?? Is what I'm doing now sustainable in the long term or do those of you with more experience than me think I will continue down the rabbit hole down the road?? I'm quite certain I do not have a physical dependence to alcohol, and I never want to get to that point, but what are my chances? Any input would be appreciated.
All I can say is when I was 27 the problems I had a few years earlier like a blackout and blowing it at a party continued.

By the time I reached 30 I was finding harder to get up. I couldn't bounce back like in my early 20's.

And my problems with alcohol which friends started to notice when I was 21 never went away. They simply continued and/or got worse.

Nothing wrong with having a few drinks to unwind or to socialize however I just never knew when enough was enough.

I didn't start the night out to screw things up but sometimes I would and all the signs alcoholism were there by the time I reached 21-22 years of age.

Good luck.