View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 03:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
otter
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Well Wishes and Holiday Rant

First let me say I hope everyone who is on the sobriety wagon made it through the holidays. We all know it can be a challenging time of year. If you're not on the wagon, hop on. There's plenty of room.

Second, and I'm sure this has been brought up a million times but why do people get offended when you're not drinking. Granted it's not everyone but old acquaintances that you used to drink with become genuinely offended if you're not consuming alcohol.

After smiling and walking away from one guy twice who was slurring and cross eyed I became so irate that I said "think I'm coming down with the flu" and fake sneezed on him which finally did the trick.

These aren't people close enough to me that I feel the obligation to explain my drinking problem. When you say "I'm driving" they slur "well one ain't gonna hurt cha".

I'm 40 years old (and will be next birthday too ) and they are as well. It's not like we're in high school any longer. Anyone else out there that deals with people like this? Luckily it's only once or twice a year for me. How do you handle them?