View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 02:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by irishlad View Post
I know it's a bad idea but the craving is very strong!
Not sure if I am going to be able to hold out.

Anyone have any tips for cravings.
Now you're talking!

HALT Hungry-Angry-Lonely-Tired. These are all common triggers. Obviously you are feeling angry right now, so even more important that you make sure the other three things are addressed. As far as the anger is concerned, remember that if you get drunk it will only give you a very, very short reprieve from your feelings anyway. And if you're in hospital having your stomach pumped or getting other emergency care then even that won't be too much 'relief'. One of the most important things to realise is that drinking doesn't help ANY problems. It just makes it worse.

Could you look up an AA meeting in your area and get there, or call their hotline number? Antabuse is all very well, but it only adresses alcoholic drinking, and the alcoholic thinking is still rampant. Also, don't forget services such as Samaritans. There is always someone at the end of the phone line to talk to.

Drinking at her doesn't punish her, just yourself. If you can get a good chunk of sobriety and work on your recovery then you'll be able to choose better girlfriends who won't mess you around. You will be able to form more meaningful relationships. Much as it hurts to find out about her dalliance, it's better to know now rather than invest more time and emotion in a no-go relationship. You could well have dodged a bullet with this one. As far as the husband and wife and their kids? I'd suggest that you focus your energy on keeping your own side of the street clean, getting sober, and talking to your doctor or whoever prescribed the antabuse and getting honest about the last couple of days. The rest of it really isn't up to you. You could do more harm than good. I'd also ask people to stop telling you any more. Cut contact with those who are (presumably) telling you all this stuff if they don't stop adding fuel to the fire. You know the bits you need to know to make your decisions, and don't need any more info. Remember, some people do love a bit of drama.

Keep on keeping on. One hour at a time if necessary.