Old 01-01-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Yes. Unpleasant but quite common. We can minimise the effect on us by learning different strategies to cope - breathing exercises, as well as learning to remember that the feeling DOES pass, and although it feels like it might do, it will not kill you (I used to feel like it could anyway).

Taking care of the common triggers for cravings will also help you get through these early days and you can remember the triggers with the word HALT. Ask yourself if you could be Hungry-Angry-Lonely-Tired. Generally these things did not feel like that's what was up, it just manifested as anxiety , restlessness, irritability, and a general feeling of discontentment. Much of the time I felt like I didn't want to eat or feel hungry. Of course, my body DID need food, whether I felt like it or not. Eating is pretty much like taking our medicine though. If you're not eating much, try to ensure you have all the food groups covered and a eat little but often to keep the blood sugar levels even and avoid further mood swings with sugar highs and crashes.

I found that going to AA meetings really helped me find some hope , and I really benefitted from being able to talk frankly to people who understood exactly what I was experiencing, and we're brave enough to tell me what I needed to hear (my normie friends and family were, I think, doing a good line in saying what they thought I wanted to hear, and I didn't want to upset or worry them so didn't feel I could be completely open with them).

I'm not sure how I'd have made it past all that anxiety and changed my way of dealing with life without AA and the program of recovery that I worked through. It's not for everyone, but I think it's definitely worth giving it a good go.

Have you seen Dee's thread about making a plan? That could also be helpful for you .... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB