View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
honeypig

December 31

This is posted from the "Today's Hope" site of Alanon.

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING
Celebrate endings, for they precede new beginnings.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

DAILY REFLECTION
I didn't really have a plan for a career, but I learned how to run our business quite successfully one day at a time.
- Joann Reed

Whether we have a specific plan for how we anticipate our lives unfolding or we react to opportunities spontaneously, we have to take whatever comes in small increments anyway. Life only happens a day at a time, regardless of who we are. Being "leveled" in this way is good for one's humility. It's also a relief to many of us. Living way into the future prevents us from appreciating whatever is happening at this moment.

There can be joyful excitement in the decision to squeeze the thrill out of every minute that comes to us. If we are practiced in living just one day at a time, we'll not find this difficult. But many of us get caught in the struggle to control outcomes, circumstances, and people far into the future. Living a day at a time can feel like taking a giant step backward.

With practice, we'll realize that living more slowly actually extends our lives because we're able to truly experience each of the moments. Learning this, at any age, is a gift. Let's rejoice in it.

Today offers me twenty-four hours of moments to be appreciated. I will do my best to love them.

Daily share from the forum can be found here: Today's Sharing - Today's Hope