Old 12-30-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Two years ago I managed to get released from a cardiac rehab which was exposing me to unacceptable risk (e.g. emergency call buttons which failed to function properly, a non English speaking cleaning woman nearly pulling a Foley catheter out of my urethra by entangling the catheter with a vacuum cleaner cord at 5:30 a.m. when I was asleep. This would have resulted in unbelievable pain, a 911 call for ambulance (the call would have to be made only with approval of a central desk manned by only one night technician) for immediate surgery at the ER, possible permanent damage to the urethra, prostate and already infected bladder, plus the likelihood of a stroke or heart attack (it was a cardiac rehab following a heart valve replacement). I told them that if they did not consent to an immediate release I would have to consult my attorney. In medical circles this gets attention but is obviously a move which should be considered only if threatened with catastrophic loss. Never consider suing in medical situations unless the alternatives may be personal bankruptcy (like going AMA and having to pay all accrued medical costs) or loss of life. Never sue for financial gain.

W.