View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bemyself

I have to agree with Dee on the need for medical detox, Sonkien, whether through your doctor or in a hospital. Particularly given your described symptoms described above.

I know heaps of nurses, at various stages of their careers, both in AA and as fellow patients in rehab. Getting appropriate treatment at the start clearly helped them to go on to BE the good nurses they are, and to get not only their registration but later promotions. It's a no-brainer, Sonkien - if you think about it: there are just as many medical professionals who need help with their substance addictions as in any other industry. It's the ones who don't seek initial help who get struck off, de-registered, and so on. As you say, you really do want to start your nursing training in a month. You won't be doing that if you don't get safely through the first week or so of physical withdrawals.

As an aside on Algo's comment: 'even' the author / founder of Rational Recovery - AVRT does indeed clearly recommend getting medical help via a doctor or in ER for detox. See pages 31-32 'Detox - the short of it', in the 1996 edition of 'Rational Recovery'.

In my own opinion, he rather too blithely skates through and over it. But he does not state trying to hide it. His main argument, as you know Algo, is more about not signing up for 'further addiction treatment'. Which is neither here nor there for someone starting out like Sonkien. That's a whole other issue which is her responsibility and choice.