Thread: First Symptoms?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Berrybean

It sounds like you drink shitloads, I recommend you get it checked out.

You did say in your OP that you may be a functioning alcoholic. That's how I described myself as well. I also would have said that for the most part I was not stumbling or seemingly out of control as would be discerned by an onlooker.

BUT, I am here, in the alcoholic area of a website dedicated to sobriety because i learned that despite those things, I AM an alcoholic (functioning of otherwise) and as things deteriorated i finally came to the point where I wanted / needed to stop drinking and learn to be comfortable in sobriety, which I was unable to do without help.

My first symptoms? Continuing to drink despite obvious consequences to my health, my work life, and my relationships; and an inability to be honest with others about my drinking (especially medical professionals). There may have been others before I notices those ones, but I was pretty good at denial and would have palmed pretty much anything off as something or someone else's fault.

I'm not 'trying to be smart' or 'misquoting you'. That's how it was for ME. And that is all I can share. Alcoholism is a disease of the mind and our thinking as much as a physical dependence. That much is evident from the fact that once an alcoholic stops drinking, they will still suffer beyond withdrawal without a good program of recovery.

Wishing you luck for your visit to the doctor. I'll be praying that they find your symptoms are something easily remedied, and that you can continue to enjoy alcohol in a way that won't affect you adversely.

BB