Thread: First Symptoms?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nuke
Resolutely Staying Sober ODAAT

I was scared to death of going to a doctor for a long time. A combination of heavy drinking, tobacco use, and being overweight made me errie of going to a physician for awhile.

When I finally had enough, I did a lot of research and found a doc that I felt would be a good fit for me. I opted for a local family doc who was a DO rather than a MD; DO's are more holistic and whole body instead of pill pushers.

Of course at that time, I was still drinking HEAVY and like every other alcoholic I lied to him about how much I drank. I ended up getting on a SSRI to help with some PTSD and those DO NOT mix well with booze. I ended up coming clean to him when I could no longer take what that combination was doing to my body. He helped me through the inital stages of sobriety, and guided me to some professional assistance to help me realize how my lifestyle was not good for my body/mind/soul.

It has now been three years since I went to him, and I am glad that I did. He has helped me through a lot, both physically and mentally. After I got over the inital "white coat" nervousness, it was not that bad. Plus, now that I am older, I have gotten to the point that I would rather know if something is wrong so I can address it, rather than ignore it and let it get worse.

Hope this helps, but at a minimum I would suggest swinging by your local clinic and having a discussion with the doc there. But, coming from a guy who didn't like docs either, getting a primary care physician is a pretty good thing too.