View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
rahrah
Recoverer of Self

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
my opinion
is that when someone shares their opinion and I find it offensive or it bothers me that there is probably some truth to it for me.
I agree to an extent....I have been trying to listen and process everything I hear whether I agree with it or not. I have learned throughout this year in recovery that putting my way of thinking aside and trying to see things from another perspective can be very enlightening...which is why I've stuck around in certain group therapy programs after hearing things I don't agree with...because things I used to be totally against I have since changed my views on..
I've listened to people who told me to just TRY another way and some of those new ways worked wonders for me. I may get worked up about something I hear and don't like...but isn't that sorta what we have to go through in order to change? I don't have long left in this program, I want to finish it because I committed to it. But I have learned that FOR NOW I benefit more from talking with someone who has been through what I've been through.
It's all worth it..the good, the bad, the stuff that I disagree with...its makes me think and work through my recovery...I don't regret any of it.
And P.S...this therapist I talk about is a wonderful person and his love and desire to help is genuine! Just not always on the mark...but hey, we all miss the mark from time to time!