Thread: Oversharing
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Kboys

Interesting thread...
I'm definitely more of an "undersharer" most of the time, I I tend to unintentionally leave things out in a way that confuses the point I am trying to make. I do this personally and professionally.

But when I first started to talk about separated AH's drinking, etc.. I think I overshared a bit... with a few people at work, and with his parents, and I have regretted that.

By throwing out all of your secrets & vulnerabilities you actually overwhelm others in a way that's subtly manipulative.

Interesting^^^ and I can definitely relate this to my oversharing with the in-laws. To me it felt at the time like I was FINALLY getting it out, and I guess it felt like a relief. It also felt validating.. finally other people knew all I had been going through, woe is me...poor me and all my sufferings, yeah...
I can see how it was "subtly manipulative" for me to have told them so much about their own son, from my perspective and put them in the middle of it like that... like I was trying to get them on "my side".
That wasn't my intention at the time, but I can see how it would have come across that way.

I have been trying to be more of a sharer in general, and to be more clear with my words... not leave anything out. I'm having a hard time finding a balance...