Thread: Oversharing
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
knowthetriggers

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
but I do tend to talk too much and I started doing research on the topic as to why I (and many other people, not just me) overshare with people who don't really care, don't want to know my inane piece of information, etc.

I also talk over people or answer questions for other people that were meant for them and that is a BIG problem because I saw how it affected things on the jobs I had. I was so used to just being a mom and in charge all the time and not being in a business environment for so long, that I developed bad habits. I also had to learn how to talk OVER my XAH who happened to be extremely verbal and would go around and around and around in circles so I guess I developed these habits over time.

I'm not sure if it's due to my codependency. If my oversharing is my way of trying to connect with people, or a way to get my own experiences validated, or if I'm just trying to find common ground and doing it in a way that is intrusive to others. I do know that the business I'm in will require me to shut my mouth a lot and learn how to ask questions and become a much better listener. I need to find some tools to help me with this.

Can anyone else relate?
Yep, I can relate. I am a "get to the point and move on" sorta gal and my AH (who is an infant in his recovery) has recently been told at several meetings to sit down, shut up and listen for the same exact reason you gave, he shares to much.

It is hard to sit back and listen - I get it.

Stay strong!