Thread: Oversharing
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LifeRecovery

I was emotionally very shut down for a long time.

Part of my recovery was being willing to share, and talking to people to get my needs met. It was not easy but I became better as I practiced.

Part of that practice including oversharing at times. My pendulum was so stuck on one side of things that it had to swing the other way for a bit before it could settle down at a happy medium.

Part of the practice also though included me realizing who I had chosen to have in my life. I don't always pick people who are emotionally comfortable with sharing. Those relationships needed to change over time (still a work in progress). One of my closest friends I am currently challenged by because it is harder for her to share right now....and previously we were both more reserved. I think I make her more uncomfortable then I did previously as a result.

I realized some time ago that I don't have many secrets anymore. I am fairly comfortable talking about just about anything of mine with others (because it has helped me). That to me is not oversharing, that is about being comfortable in my own skin.

The next step for me was figuring out who to talk to those things about. People I could trust, get support from and were in their own place open enough to getting into those things with me (for example my friend above is struggling with at least one alcoholic parent as an adult but is not yet able to name/acknowledge that completely or get support around it). Me talking about what I learned in Al-anon is just not something she can easily talk about. That is less about me, and more about her. Also there was a time and a place for these discussions that was challenging for me to figure out.

Finally there was a new give/take that had to happen in my relationships....the relationships finally had to be about me some too, and this often made me feel "bad," or "guilty," for taking up some space. Again I don't think of that as oversharing but it was a lot of pieces for me to work through.

Finally it has always been easy for me to hear the "negative feedback," others give me, but hard sometimes to put some appropriate perspective on it.

Liz I suspect you have done more of this work than you give yourself credit for just by the topics you choose to post about and the connection others feel to them.