View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

It makes perfect sense to me, and I found many reasons like this to not quit myself, at various times. I think what some folks are saying, or thinking, is that that's your addiction talking, not you. There's never a "best" time to quit, and we can always come up with perfectly logical-sounding reasons why today is not good enough but tomorrow will be better. And then tomorrow, we can always do the same thing.

I think the real problem with setting ourselves up to fail like this, by telling ourselves we're gonna quit for sure X days from now and then not doing it, is that we feel like failures, and the surest way to avoid dealing with that failure is to drink some more. It can be a very destructive cycle, where we lose a lot before we finally decide that today really is the day and we stick to it.

Originally Posted by Blankspace87 View Post
I don't have a valid excuse, at least not one that you guys will (probably quite fairly) find valid.
I feel I've made huge steps in the past couple of weeks to acknowledge and face up to the issues I have with alcohol.
I'm just not ready to go the whole way yet. Perhaps I don't want to admit to family and friends. I've always been an exceedingly private person (see above comments re social anxiety). If I quit in January it's easier for me to then claim that I feel so much better after a month and continue it...if I quit not I feel like Christmas will be defined by why I'm not drinking.
Again, many will think that is weak, but it does make sense in my own mind. Sorry, I don't mean to infuriate